For more information about our program, please contact:
Dr. Dionna Manning, Ed.D.
Education Community of Scholars Program Director
Pat & Lynn Lane Scholarship Program
The Pat and Lynn Lane Scholars Program is a four year $26,000 award to deserving students pursuing a degree in education in the College of Education at East Carolina University.
- Provide an academically and culturally enriched program that extends beyond the regular college program.
- Provide opportunities and experiences that encourage the development of leaders and decision makers.
- Provide opportunities for building an understanding of education’s place in a greater social context.
- Instill a sense of mission, service, and professionalism.
- Improve the image of teacher education candidates and programs campus-wide.
- Recruit and retain greater numbers of teacher education candidates in North Carolina.
- Recipients will be required to teach for four years in a school system in the Latham Clinical schools network.
Tutoring and Mentoring Programs
- Lane Scholars are part of the Education Living-Learning Community during their freshmen year and will take a special section of COAD 1000 in order to help with the transition to college.
- Freshmen and Sophomores mentor with local after- school clubs and nonprofit agencies, focusing on motivating at-risk youths.
- Lane Scholars have the opportunity to travel for cultural and educational experiences.
- Highlights include attending Broadway shows, visiting local public schools, taking city tours, dining at nice restaurants, and experiencing a variety of cultures.
Seminars and Community Service
- Leadership seminars give Lane Scholars the opportunity to learn more about current trends and issues in education. They also afford the opportunities for Lane Scholars to practice new skills useful for the classroom.
- Each Lane Scholar also volunteers with organizations such as Relay for Life and the Food Bank of Eastern North Carolina.
- Go to ECU’s ECUAWard portal at https://ecu.academicworks.com and complete an online application. If you are eligible for this Scholars Program, you must click on other opportunities.
- Deadline – Applications will close at midnight on January 15.
- Sample Recommendation Form
- Recommendation forms are not due unless you have a formal interview. If selected for a formal interview, you will bring the completed recommendation with you to the interview.
- Will be during the month of February (specific interview days and times will be assigned by the Education Scholars office after the application cycle closes).
- Applicants selected for an interview will be notified by email and mail.