OCE – Clinical Teacher
All new clinical teachers must attend a one day clinical teaching training session. This training includes the roles and responsibilities of the clinical teacher, intern and university supervisor during the Senior Year Internship. These sessions are typically held during summer months at various locations. Teachers are notified about the upcoming training opportunities via their Latham Clinical Schools Network contact.
Individuals who are selected and prepared for a coaching role as a clinical teacher must have the skills, knowledge, and dispositions of highly accomplished professions to fulfill their responsibilities. The College of Education and the school districts within the Latham Clinical Schools Network agree to the following criteria for the selection of the school district’s clinical teacher:
- To serve as a clinical teacher requires a recommendation from his/her principal/liaison.
- A clinical teacher must have completed a minimum of three years of successful teaching experience and hold a SP II license. They also must come with a recommendation from their principal/school district.
- A clinical teacher must hold appropriate subject area licensure and currently be teaching in this area the entire day.
- A clinical teacher must have received an overall proficient or higher rating on each standard as reflected on the North Carolina Teacher Evaluation Rubric.
- A clinical teacher must willingly undertake the responsibilities of observing and documenting the performance of the intern and preparing written summary evaluations. This includes completing the Certification of Teaching Capacity (CTC) Form for licensure indicating whether an intern has met or has not met all indicators in the five standards. The clinical teacher must also agree to reserve time daily and/or weekly to verbally communicate/provide concrete feedback with the intern.
- A clinical teacher must agree to participate in staff development opportunities for university supervisors and clinical teachers as developed and agreed upon by the Latham Clinical Schools Network and as required by the Office of Educator Preparation. This includes on-line training as well as face to face training.
- A clinical teacher must agree to submit all documentation either in paper or electronically as required by the due date.