Graduate Certificate in Education in the Healthcare Professions
Do you want to enhance your career as an Educator in Healthcare Professions?
Instructors who teach healthcare-related courses at colleges, universities and community colleges and those considering pursuing a career in teaching in healthcare-related professions are encouraged to apply to this certificate program. This certificate is aimed at current and potential instructors teaching in medical fields as well as in dentistry, physical therapy, nursing assistant, and all other healthcare-related programs.
The program is taught through a distance education format, making it easier for professionals to find time to fulfill the requirements of the certificate.
Applicants are asked to furnish two official transcripts from each institution attended since high school, a statement of intent, and at least two letters of recommendation. Once the application is complete and has been forwarded to the Coordinator of the Adult Education program, it will be reviewed and an admission decision will be made.
General Admissions Requirements
- Academic Achievement – Applicants must first meet the requirements for the admission to the Graduate School. The junior and senior years of under- graduate study are particularly crucial. It is recognized, however, that some applicants have finished their undergraduate study some time ago and that work experience and motivation are also factors in success in graduate study.
- Letters of Recommendation – Applicants will be asked to present two letters of reference which can speak to their ability to perform graduate level academic work as well as their interest and experience in adult education. Letters of recommendation may be waived if you fall in one of the following categories:
- Current ECU faculty member
- Participant in the Army FC 32 Cohort program
- You have previously earned a graduate degree*
- (Note: An unofficial transcript showing proof of the degree must be submitted to the program for approval before the recommendations can be waived.)
- Statement of Intent – All applicants to the program will be required to include a Statement of Intent with application materials. This statement should highlight applicants’ reasons for applying to the Adult Education program.
The Graduate Certificate in Education in the Healthcare Professions requires a minimum of 15 semester hours. A culminating portfolio is also required. Coursework is as follows:
Education in the Healthcare Professions Core Courses (9 semester hours)
- ADED 6487 Instructional Strategies
- ADED 6495 Educational Program Evaluation
- ADED 7580 Introduction to Education in the Healthcare Professions
Electives (6 semester hours)
Electives may come from adult education, instructional technologies, information technologies education or other related fields.
Portfolio Components:Your CCI Certificate Portfolio is to include the following 5 elements:
- Effective Teaching (750 words maximum):This reflective essay should address your beliefs (notwhatyou do but,why) about your role as instructor, and the roles and responsibilities of the student. Also discuss teaching methods you use, why you consider them effective, and how your teaching style has been influenced by your teaching philosophy, previous life experience and learning style. The basis for this essay should be content taught in ADED 6240 (Effective College Teaching) and ADED 6453 (The Adult Learner).
- Community College Essay (500 words maximum):This essay should speak to the role and importance that community colleges play in the global economy, our state’s economy, educational system, our communities, and in people’s lives (be sure to address all of the aforementioned levels). Also discuss how these certificate courses have prepared you for teaching and leadership in the community college. The basis for this essay should be content taught in ADED 6450 (Community, Junior & Technical Colleges).
- – 4.Two Elective Essays (500 words maximum each):This certificate program requires two elective courses. Consider each elective course you took (separately) and complete a reflective-type essay for each. The focus of each essay should be the content of that course and how you related that content to the core courses in the CCI Certificate program (ADED 6240, 6453, and 6450).
- Overall Reflection Paper (750 words maximum):In this final reflective essay, please address the following:
- Your most significant personal learning in this certificate pursuit;
- Your leadership and communication styles in the classroom;
- How you demonstrate your understanding and appreciation of diversity in your classroom;
- How you use technology effectively in the classroom;
- The role that ethics have in your teaching;
- Ways in which you are reflective about your own teaching;
- Your future goals and continuing professional development (learning) plans.