Faculty Profile: Dr. Patricia Anderson

Name: Dr. Patricia Anderson

Title: Professor

Department: Department of Elementary Education and Middle Grades Education

Hometown: Clarksdale, Mississippi

Colleges attended and degrees: 

Delta State University for BSE and MAEd, and University of Georgia for EDD (Doctor of Education)

Years working at ECU: 41 years

What do you love about ECU?

The ECU I came to in 1982 was a very different place. Enrollment was at 11,000 students, and the campus wasn’t beautiful. There were few sidewalks and many dirt paths. The campus was functional, but not as it is today. As the university grew in beauty, we attracted more students, more talented faculty, and our Pirate spirit continued to grow. I remember the football games where there were maybe 3,000 fans in the stands and the band stood still to play one musical performance during halftime; some faculty member spouses brought books to read during the game since it wasn’t very interesting or exciting. Thankfully, we are not like that now in football, music, arts, or any of our other outstanding programs.  Over the years, ECU has grown into the large, amazing, booming place it is today. I love having been a part of that growth, both with students and with faculty. I love the tradition of shared governance for faculty and administration; I love the fact that as an institution we are still working to decide exactly what we want to be “when we grow up.” As long as we keep that mentality of change for the better, we’ll continue to be a successful place for all aspects of higher education. I’m proud to have been a part of this campus. I genuinely love being a Pirate.

What are your research interests?

Classroom management, Second Life, faculty evaluation, flexible seating

What is your favorite course that you have taught or currently teach?

ELEM 4300: Classroom Management in the Elementary Classroom

What drew you to ELMID and, in particular, elementary education?

I always wanted to be a teacher. My own teaching experience was in fourth grade in Greenville, Mississippi. But after a few years of teaching, I realized I had an additional set of skills in “translating” teaching skills and ideas to teachers, so I returned to school to earn the right to train teachers. I’ve been doing that for many years now, and my love for teaching others has only grown over the years.

Outside of work, what are your favorite hobbies or interests?

I love traveling to interesting places, creating special adventures with friends and family, spending time relaxing with games on my Ipad, or making bracelets (my newest hobby and plan for fun in my upcoming retirement).