Staff Profile: Ann McClung

Name: Ann McClung

Title: Science Coordinator

Department: Center for STEM Education

Hometown: Hookerton, NC

Colleges attended and degrees: Peace College – AA degree; East Carolina University – BS & MAEd degrees

Years working at ECU: Since January 2015

What do you love about ECU?

I love the dedication and passion everyone  has about their departments and their willingness to help in a time of need.  Also the history and traditions of Pirate Nation at games and events on campus.

What is your favorite activity that the STEM Center provides?

I have two:  Hosting the Science Olympiad Regional Tournaments and seeing the students’ engineering devices and hosting the AP Summer Institutes.  The past two years we have hosted them online and doubled our participation by going remote.

What do you like most about working at the STEM Center?

Helping teachers and getting them the materials and resources needed for the classroom is very beneficial.

What are some of the projects that you work on at the center?

I organize the Regional Science Olympiad Tournament for middle school and high school teams in the northeast part of NC.  I also organize the AP Summer Institutes where we hire College Board consultants and certified teachers to run each session.  After attending our session the teachers receive CEUs and certificates for their 30 hours of intense training. 

Outside of work, what are your favorite hobbies or interests?

ROBOTS!  My husband and I are lead mentors for the Pitt Pirates Robotics Team 2642 and PiRates 13735 FTC Team.   We work with middle school and high school students during the year building robots, hosting 3 weeks of summer robotics camps at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences (AKA A Time for Science), working with the Third Street Academy and the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Coastal Plains volunteering and providing STEM activities and resources, and hosting FLL tournaments for our local FIRST Lego League Teams.