Faculty Profile: Dr. Kimberly Anderson

Name: Kimberly Anderson

Title: Associate Professor

Department: Literacy Studies, English Education & History Education

Hometown: Waterford, New York

Colleges attended and degrees: State University of New York College at Cortland (B.S. Psychology); University at Albany, State University of New York (M.S. Educational Psychology, C.A.S. School Psychology, M.S. Reading, Ph.D. Reading)

Years working at ECU: 7

What do you love about ECU?

The amazing people I get to work with every day.

What are your research interests?

I’m most interested in early literacy development and instruction, how to get children off to as strong a start in literacy as possible, and how to best prepare teachers to work with our youngest literacy learners.

What is your favorite course you have taught/currently teach?

It’s probably a tie between READ 3301: Reading Instruction in the Primary Grades and READ 6101: Learning to Read: From Novice to Expert.

What drew you to LEHE and, in particular, the Literacy Studies area?

The opportunity to work with so many undergraduates preparing to become teachers is what drew me here. Getting children off to a strong start in literacy is one of the most important responsibilities of teachers in the primary grades, and I value the opportunity to work with pre-service teachers as they begin to take on that role.

What is the most interesting element to you about teaching Literacy Studies?

One of the fascinating aspects of my teaching is that I get to work with such a diverse population of preservice teachers. While many are traditional undergraduates, many others are non-traditional — perhaps changing careers, going back to school after raising a family, or currently working as paraprofessionals in the schools and continuing their education to become teachers. Each brings their own unique perspective, talents, and goals to their studies, and the mix allows us all to learn from one another.

What are your current research projects?

I’m currently involved in a long-term study of the impact of the Imagination Library book distribution program on children’s literacy skills at kindergarten entry, with Drs. Terry Atkinson and Elizabeth Swaggerty. I’m also involved in a project to develop and test digital resources that can be used to support the rehearsal of early literacy instructional practices in teacher preparation, particularly in distance education courses.

Outside of work, what are your favorite hobbies or interests?

I enjoy cooking as well as outdoor activities, especially kayaking.