Student Researchers: Isaiah Gorham and Taylor Parrish

Name: Isaiah Gorham

Current major/degree program: Secondary Science Education

Hometown: Winterville, North Carolina

Hobbies/interests: Running

What drew you to pursue your current degree?

I love coaching my high school track team and I wanted to find another way I can help develop the youth in our community.

What brought you to ECU?

I heard ECU had one of the best education programs in the state and I wanted to make sure I would be the most prepared to enter the classroom.

Can you explain the research that you have conducted?

My research partner and I surveyed current ECU College of Education students (students enrolled in an Educator Preparation Program) on their perceptions toward their future teaching job. Some factors we surveyed were: school climate, school demographic, community assets, and more factors. The goal of our research was to determine what ways we can improve rural communities that would allow more teachers to move and live in our rural districts.

Do you have any advice for students looking to conduct research in education?

Research is a great way to learn more about the education field beyond just the surface issues.

Name: Taylor Parrish

Current major/degree program: Middle Grades Education with concentrations in science and social studies

Hometown: Henderson, North Carolina

Hobbies/interests: I love to travel to different places. I try to make it a point to go somewhere new at least 3 times a year. I also love animals. I have a dog, 4 cats, and a leopard gecko.

I lived in poverty most of my life. Going to school was my only escape for a long time and the teachers became my family. I wanted to be able to give back to the community and support students who are growing up in situations similar to my own.

What brought you to ECU?

I knew ECU was the place to be if you wanted to be a teacher. I knew that if I wanted to be able to reach my full potential that ECU would be the place I needed to go. The teacher preparation program is the best in the state, and I knew that it would be the best place to go to for my education.

North Carolina has been struggling to find and keep teachers for a long time now. Our research is based on the recruitment and retainment of teachers within rural counties in North Carolina. We are taking an in-depth look at what it would take to bring teachers to those rural counties. We have looked at things like housing, access to medical services, shopping, nightlife, and everything in between.

My advice to anyone looking to do research is to find a staff member who will support you. If you can find a good support system that pushes you to better yourself and your research, then you will be able to do anything you put your mind to. Our research would not be where it is today without help from people like Dr. Cuthrell.